Saturday, March 27, 2010

Cinnamon Swirl Bread


This bread is so yummy! It's deeeelish toasted with a little bit of butter! I got the recipe from a cookbook that my husband's aunt gave me for my bridal shower. Ward cookbooks are heavenly!
Cinnamon Swirl Bread
Dough:
2 c. warm water
2 tbsp. powdered milk
2 tbsp. honey
2 tbsp. vegetable oil
2 tsp. salt
2 1/2 tsp. yeast
5 1/2 c. flour
Filling:
3/4 c. brown sugar
7 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 c. ground flaxseed (optional but see note in recipe)
1 beaten egg
2 tbsp. butter
1 c. baking raisins (optional)
Combine 1/4 hot water, 1 tbsp. honey, and yeast in a small bowl. Set in a warm place to proof. Combine the rest of the dough ingredients (except flour) in a large bowl. Stir in the yeast mixture. Slowly stir in flour. On floured surface, knead the dough until elastic (about ten minutes). I used my Bosch for this. If you use a Bosch or Kitchenaid, knead as usual in your machine. Place in a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about one hour.)
Meanwhile, combine brown sugar, cinnamon, and flaxseed for the filling. I didn't have any flaxseed and mine turned out just fine. However, if you don't have flaxseed, I'd probably cut the cinnamon down to about 5-6 tsp. Punch down the dough and seperate into 2 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 10" x 12" rectangle. Brush the top of each with half the egg and then sprinkle with half of the filling mixture. Drizzle with butter and rub the surface with a spoon to moisten the filling. Roll the dough tightly and pinch together at the ends and the seam. Place in greased bread pans and let rise for 45 minutes to an hour (or in the fridge overnight). Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees, lower heat to 400 degrees and bake 15-20 minutes more. Remove from oven and let stand at least 30 minutes before slicing. Enjoy! (Your family is going to think you're the greatest baker ever!) :)

1 comment:

  1. My mom used to make a version of this when we were little! Sometimes she would do cheese instead of cinnamon, too. I'm glad you reminded me of it. I haven't had it in years.

    ReplyDelete